Saturday, January 21, 2012

Zucchini Trombonica

Zucchini trombonica
This has to be one of my favourite summer plants. The texture is like a pumpkin (trombone) but the fruit grows like a zucchini in length. Actually, the longer it's on the vine, the longer the fruit grows. Long and skinny. It's a fabulous plant and delicious steamed or in stir fries. I bought the seeds from Diggers. Not sure how the seeds set as there's no internal cavity like pumpkins for seed production, so have been somewhat thwarted in my seed saving for this plant! Apparently the process is to allow a single fruit to grow full size & become hard. This will take about two months after the flowering stage when the plant will be focussed on seed production. Store the fruit after picking to further mature the seeds. Then scoop out seeds, wash, dry for 2 weeks. My plant was still growing and producing fruit in June last year and none of them had any seeds inside. I'll try again this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment