Sunday, September 12, 2010

Perpetual basil - ocimum basilicum

I had to laugh with the 'scientific name' of the perpetual basis - reminds me of octomum in America. My perpetual basil plant has been quite prolific so that seems appropriate! The perpetual basil is sprouting again now it's spring and I've done some reading about possibly striking it from a cutting. Of course, I have no need other than curiousity, given the way my seasonal basil self-seeds in the garden. Apparently all basil plants are classified botanically as annuals, though my perpetual basil seems to be living up to its name so far. The best advice to strike a cutting from my perpetual basil plant is to take some tip cuttings with some hardwood attached, dip the end in honey (in lieu of hormone rooting powder or gel - has the same antifungal and antibacterial function to clean up the cut end). Nip out some of the budding leaf growth so the cutting can concentrate on establishing a root system and plant either direct into the ground or in a pot to get it started (use good potting soil). I'm also going to stick one cutting in a glass of water and see if it takes root that way. Although 'annual' basil varieties are very easy to grow from seed, the process of striking a cutting means you get a plant just like the original. I think one of the things I really love about gardening is the 'trial and error' and experimenting and learning the science of it all - in a very amateur way, of course. I wish science had been taught in school using gardening, as there's just so much to be learned in practical application.
Perpetual basil is not like 'sweet' basil (genovese) - much more pungent and aromatic and can be used in the usual array of food preparation but also for curries etc. I like it a lot.

2 comments:

  1. Do you know why nobody is selling seeds for this variety of basil? I ordered a plant off amazon.com and planted it in a pot and it quickly died. I thought it was very pretty, had a yellowish/green cast to it and smelled delicious. I figured the shipping was just too tough on it and have been since looking for seeds. Is this gonna be like wooly thyme, where you just cannot get seeds for it ever?
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would like to know where to get the plant [perpetual Basil] & or seeds also. Thanks

    ReplyDelete