Thursday, September 9, 2010

verge gardening

I find myself looking with some longing at wide verges in our locale and disappointed that they're often left as wastelands. We had lawn on the front verge but as we had got rid of the lawns front and back we had no need of a mower and to use a mowing service cost $25 for a job that took less than 5 minutes. I even got down on my hands and knees to use hand shears at one stage. In the end we poisoned the lawn (with council permission) and planted drought tolerant native ground covers. They are well established now and had their first clip around the edges this week. We've planted a ring of bulbs around the street tree which are flowering now it's spring, and I've just planted a second ring again of poppies seedlings which will flower in November. They self-seed in following years and are very determined in whatever soil conditions they find themselves. Perfect for the verge. When the weather warms a little I'm planning to plant some fragrant basil and maybe some other herbs to give some height to the verge. Maybe encourage people to take some home for cooking! I just need to curb my enthusiasm enough to allow room for passenger access to the verge from parked vehicles. I found this website on verges inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment